If you wish to adjust your cookie preferences for this website, you can do so using your browser settings.
SPES products - technology & methods of manufacturing
- products with visible signs of using modern methods and tools in their production; e.g. visible outside and inside seams in clothing made with the use of a machine.
- products with visible signs of using both modern and traditional methods and tools in their production; e.g. main, inside seams in clothing are made with the use of a machine while outside stitches and details are sewn by hand.
- goods with visible signs of using only traditional methods and tools in their production; e.g. all seams in clothing are sewn by hand.
*NOTE. We always use high quality materials and fabrics while making our products - the above standards of their production are not related to the materials used.
* Please write the extra wishes in the place 'additional information' at the end of the order. Lowest price in the last 30 days
Simple gambeson of Saint-Denis is a type of medieval gambeson based on historical sources from the 14th and 15th centuries. This model of gambeson has a high collar and is closed with 4 leather thongs.
Both the outer layer and the lining of our simple gambeson are made of linen. This simple gambeson has vertical stitchings on its whole length, both on torso and sleeves. It is padded with cotton-polyester nonwoven fabric with strenghtenings.
Parts of this gambeson differ in the level of thickness:
↪ on chest, shoulders and elbows - Y2
↪ in rest of medieval gambeson - Y1
More information about thickness you can find here.
NOTE - there is an option of modifying the thickness of amortization layers in this model of simple gambeson. To customize this product, please contact our Sales Department before you place an order.
MMore information on the thickness of the gambeson can be found here!
When you place an order, please choose one of the available colors. The table of colors can be found here.
Our long medieval simple gambeson is available in standard sizes from XS to XXL or in custom size, fitted to individual needs for an additional 20% charge. To choose the proper size, please follow the chart below:
Individual measurements. Price + 20%.
Please write down the chosen size in additional information box when you place the order.
Simple gambeson from Jean Froissart’s chronicle
One of the sources presenting such simple gambeson are the Froissart's Chronicles. The full name of this work is The Chronicles of France, England, Scotland, Spain, Brittany, Gascony, Flanders and the Adjoining Countries. It describes the events from the years 1327-1400. Its pages present armed soldiers wearing similar simple gambesons, plundering the houses of Paris.
Simple medieval gambeson of Saint-Denis - basic features
- closed with 4 leather thongs, easing the process of putting the simple gambeson on
- collar protecting the neck
- available in standard sizes (XS-XXL)
- fully modifiable
- simple gambeson based on historical sources
- modifiable layers
Gambesons in the medieval period
Gambesons were a cheap protection for the fighting men in the Middle Ages, but only the poorest ones used only them as their single armour. For others they were a part of a complete protective armament, providing amortization of the hit and the protection of attritions from the armour. Among padded protective elements we can find: simple gambesons protecting the trunk and hands, padded gloves, padded coifs and separate hoses. They were sewn from layers of a fabric.
In the 13th century gambesons were long and rather badly-fitted to the figure. Medieval padded armors were usually put over the head and buttoned only near the neck. Later, with the development of other elements of the armour, gambesons were shorter and better fitted to the body. In the 14th and the 15th centuries they were usually buttoned at the front or laced up.
The upgrading of SPES gambesons design
Currently, we are working on implementing to our assortment the upgraded versions of our well-known medieval padded armors. Changes include:
- improving the functionality and mobility of our aketons
- layers’ thickness (check the chart with levels of amortization)
- directions and shape of stitchings
- minor changes in cut (for better fitting)
- and most of all, matching the gambesons to our six-levels size set: XS-XXL (NOTE: you can still order a custom-sized gambeson)
Therefore, you can be sure that upgraded SPES gambesons are even better suited to your needs. And if you have any questions about mentioned changes in any model, contact us - we will dispel the doubts!
To make each gambeson stand out even more, we gave them unique names. From now on, the Simple medieval gambeson (type 1) is named Simple medieval gambeson of Saint-Denis.