If you wish to adjust your cookie preferences for this website, you can do so using your browser settings.
SPES products - technology & methods of manufacturing
- products with visible signs of using modern methods and tools in their production; e.g. visible outside and inside seams in clothing made with the use of a machine.
- products with visible signs of using both modern and traditional methods and tools in their production; e.g. main, inside seams in clothing are made with the use of a machine while outside stitches and details are sewn by hand.
- goods with visible signs of using only traditional methods and tools in their production; e.g. all seams in clothing are sewn by hand.
*NOTE. We always use high quality materials and fabrics while making our products - the above standards of their production are not related to the materials used.
* Please write the extra wishes in the place 'additional information' at the end of the order. ** the price of a material button: 1,5 euro
the price of a moulded button: 1,5 euro See how to place an order for several people
King Arthur’s knight gambeson will be a perfect choice for any person looking for medieval gambeson for historical reenactment or knight fighting. King Arthur’s knight aketon is based on historical sources and characterized by a high level of mobility.
King Arthur’s knight gambeson is made of fabrics of the highest quality. We have used natural linen in both the outer layer and lining. This knight gambeson has a filling from polyester-cotton nonwovens of two levels of thickness.
↪ on chest, shoulders and elbows - Y2
↪ in rest of medieval gambeson - Y1
More information about thickness you can find here.
This model of aketon has a few types of stitchings. There are curved stitchings on the chest. From the waist down, stitchings are horizontal. Upper parts of sleeves have vertical stitchings, while lower parts - horizontal ones.
Knight’s gambeson of this type as a standard is closed with 14 tin buttons. Sleeves are also closed with buttons - 5 on each sleeve. King Arthur’s knight gambeson does not have a collar. Properly selected filling together with curved stitchings and high level of mobility, make this knight gambeson perfect for fighting. Historical correctness keeps this model appropriate for medieval reenactment.
How to modify a knight’s gambeson
King Arthur’s knight gambeson in standard version is closed with “Shield” tin buttons. There is an option of changing them on other models, or fabric buttons. We also offer an option of changing a type of closure to overcast lacing or leather thongs.
Standard stuffing in our knight gambeson can be changed to other from our broad assortment here!
We have also prepared a wide range of linen colors for this aketon. The table of colors can be found here.
This type of knight gambeson is available in standard sizes from XS to XXL or in custom size, fitted to individual needs for an additional 20% charge. To choose the proper size, please follow the chart below:
Individual measurements. Price + 20%.
Please write down the chosen size in additional information box when you place the order.
King Arthur’s knight gambeson in historical sources
This knight gambeson can be found in a romance about Guiron le Courtois by 13th century Italian writer Rusticiano. This manuscript which focused on Arthurian legends is currently stored in the national library of France.
Gambeson of King Arthur’s knight - basic features
- made of high quality linen
- properly selected stuffing
- stitchings increasing mobility
- based on historical sources
- closed with buttons on the front and sleeves
- wide range of colors to choose from
- options of modifications (e.g. the type of closure and stuffing)
- new type of sleeve - so called “inverted elbow” - providing high level of mobility
King Arthur and his knights - the Arthurian legends
The famous Arthurian legends are a collection of short stories on the legendary King Arthur and Knights of the Round Table. Stories of the Arthurian legends focus on various, often uncombined plots. Main storyline focuses on King Arthur, who collects the best knights around him.
Side stories of the Arthurian legends focus on Merlin, Tristan and Iseult, or seekers of the Holy Grail.
Over the centuries, there have been created many Arthurian legends, often mutually exclusive. Still, it does not change the fact that these texts had a large influence on culture not only during the medieval period, but also today, as the basis of many books, movies, TV shows, or music tracks.
The upgrading of SPES gambesons design
Currently, we are working on implementing to our assortment the upgraded versions of our well-known gambesons. Changes include:
- improving the functionality and mobility of our aketons
- layers’ thickness (check the chart with levels of amortization)
- directions and shape of stitchings
- minor changes in cut (for better fitting)
- and most of all, matching the gambesons to our six-levels size set: XS-XXL (NOTE: you can still order a custom-sized gambeson)
Therefore, you can be sure that upgraded SPES gambesons are even better suited to your needs. And if you have any questions about mentioned changes in any model, contact us - we will dispel the doubts!
To make each gambeson stand out even more, we gave them unique names. From now, TYPE 4 is named King Arthur’s knight gambeson.